Tuesday 4 September 2012

Day 10: Vanishing and other stories by Deborah Willis

An intricately woven collection of short stories, Willis portrays a whole canvas of human lives, and all their entangled interactions. A recurring motif appears to be the complexities in the relationship between siblings and families. I was introduced to Deborah Willis’ book in a literature course in college. I enjoyed her stories, the brush of her writing, and the depth of her content. Fortunately, I was able to find myself a signed copy. She’s also a local author in Victoria, where I live.

According to Alice Munro, “the emotional range and depth of these stories, the clarity and deftness is astonishing,” while the Canada Council for the Arts calls Vanishing and other stories a book that “startles, exhilarate and radiate with piercing insights.”

No comments:

Post a Comment