Friday 2 March 2012

Day 5: Identity Crisis by Brad Meltzer


            This is the first graphic novel on the list and probably one of my favorites. It changes the tone of the DC universe and unleashes massive consequences that affect multiple titles. Meltzer produces a gripping mystery story tweaked with obsession, tragedy, and love. The twist ending is something no one could really have guessed or expected. It’s out of left field. But every beat that leads up to it is superb. This comic contains a variety of surprises that left me engaged and compelled to continue. There’s multiple storylines across the board here but none of them feel contrived or superficial. Batman’s fundamental investigative question, “Who benefits?” epitomizes the underlying theme of the novel as various characters’ relationships are strengthened in the wake of the opening crime.
Last year, I purchased a hardcover copy with the Michael Turner variant cover. It’s a beautiful cover, as expected of the late artist. And in October 2011, DC released an oversized Absolute Edition of “Identity Crisis.” I haven’t gotten a chance to peruse it yet, but I definitely want that for my collection. O Money, where art thou? So whether you like DC Comics, whether you even like superheroes, I strongly recommend “Identity Crisis.”

No comments:

Post a Comment